words well translated into Chinese and Malay.
Abbott is a leading multinational medical devices and healthcare company with headquarters in the United States. The company is well-known for medical devices, diagnostics, and nutrition products.
For this project, GTE Localize worked with the Structural Heart Department of the Abbott Singapore branch.
- To give their customers in Singapore the best experience and support when reading information on their website on leaking heart valves, Abbott needed to make their website available in two popular languages used in Singapore – Simplified Chinese and Malay.
- Abbott assigned GTE Localize to translate all website content from English into Chinese and Malay.
- Abbott required the translation company to excel in the linguistic aspect and own proficient knowledge in the Medical industry at the same time.
- Complex and Specialized Medical Content: The focus of the website was on leaking heart valves – a highly specialized medical sector. The content covered all relevant information about its symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and aftercare as well as some marketing materials such as brochures and news. All information needed translating with utmost care and accuracy.
- User Interface Elements: The website consisted of many user interface strings and buttons that had limited character length. Therefore, the translators in charge must make sure that the translation was short and concise enough to ensure proper displays while delivering the intended meanings of the source text.
- The best team of native linguists: We assigned a team of 2 experienced translators and editors for each language pair. The related linguists were native speakers with long experience in translating medical content. They also had previous experience in translating websites to handle user interface elements well.
- Three Steps Needed: For this type of complex content, we applied a process of three steps – translation, editing, and proofreading. The files were translated by a native linguist, and then edited and proofread by a senior medical editor. This process guaranteed all possible mistakes were found and adjusted, giving the client error-free translations.
- Help provide a smooth transition between the steps.
- Keep consistency for all the translations by using TM/TB and shorten the time spent.
- Leverage repetitions.
- Convenient for TM creation.
- Ensure consistency across files and the projects.