Top 7 Common Mistakes In Thai E-learning Translation Services
Thai E-learning translation services are vital for giving a better learning experience for your Thai E-learning audience.
Furthermore, e-learning translation and localization will allow educational businesses to set their footprint on a global scale. As the second-largest economy in Southeast Asia, with well-enforced laws and a stable economic growth rate, Thailand is a reputable source of investment for any global company seeking global success.
However, the e-learning translation process is often filled with challenges and mistakes. If you are planning to tap into the Thai market, here is a list of the common mistakes usually made down the road of e-learning translation that you need to be aware of.
Lack of Pre-Planning
If you begin the localization of your e-learning materials without appropriate planning, the entire project might end up in a fiasco.
As a result, your Thai E-learning translation services provider should devote time and effort to the preparation stage so that they may select the appropriate teaching style for your course’s target audience based on their preferences and culture.
Cultural Differences Matter!
Words, images, ideas, and symbols that appeal to this country might be provocative and offensive for the Thai people. Every language has a distinct cultural and historical background.
Therefore, localizing your content to fit well with your target learner’s culture is crucial if you want to maximize your chances of success in Thailand.
Here are some essential points that both you and your Thai E-learning translation services partner should bear in mind to get closer to Thai people:
- Many content restrictions must be followed in Thailand to avoid content being banned. Any disrespectful content of the King or the Thai monarchy is a big no-no, and it can lead to a ban or even criminal prosecution. Political content is heavily restricted, and sexual or pornographic video footage is forbidden.
- Besides Thais, Thailand’s population includes ethnic Chinese, Malay, Lao, Burmese, Cambodians, and Indians. Each of them has different cultural beliefs, so it is worth analyzing the cultural spheres of your Thai target group.
- Thai is one of the few languages with its system of numerals. On the other hand, Thais seldom utilize their numbers in ordinary life, especially in the previous 10-15 years. Instead, they employ Arabic numbers due to Thailand’s rapid expansion, close commercial ties with other countries, and a substantial percentage of organized tourists.
Your Thai E-learning Translation Services Don’t Use the Right Font.
Choosing the proper font is critical in the e-learning translation process to notice your e-learning material. You should avoid using custom fonts and licensed fonts, as some may not be viewable on all devices or systems.
Simply use the system fonts, which include characters for the Thai language.
Here are some distinct features of Thai font you should be aware of before selecting a font:
- The Thai typeface is not exclusively alphabetic, unlike the typographic systems of all Western languages. It falls between the syllabary and the alphabet as an Abugida.
- The letters that make up a syllable, like the Devanagari language, are made up of fragments.
- The Thai language is written from left to right, much like English. However, they are not separated by spaced marks. Indeed, different words are written one after the other, and spaces are used to separate different sentences.
That’s why before you select a font, you need to check first the font copyright.
Ignore Translating Your Audio/Video Scripts
Audio and video are rapidly becoming the kings of eLearning materials, and you should have spent a significant amount of time and effort developing them by now. But to provide your learners with a great learning experience is not enough.
You’ll need to work with a professional Thai E-learning translation services supplier that can translate the course contents into the Thai language so they can comprehend.
Notice Embedding Text
When tailoring your course for Thai learners, using charts, graphics, and images with embedded text might be a challenge. It would help if you steered away from them at the beginning.
However, if you must embed text, you should create the version in the Thai language at the same time while the original picture is still easily editable.
Be Cautious About Expanded Text
When working on English to Thai translation projects, you should expect and prepare for text expansion due to the variations in expression styles between English and Thai. Translated Thai writings are often 15% longer than their original in English.
Hence, you should allow more room for text when translating information from English to Thai or ask translators to use shorter phrases and words. You may have to get some parts slightly or moderately redesigned in terms of layouts.
Partner with Any Elearning Translation Company!
Simply ask the proposed Thai E-learning translation services agency to translate random samples of your e-learning resources and evaluate their work quality before opting for them.
Thailand is one of Asia’s fastest-growing economies, making it a promising destination for any education business. Providing Thai E-learning translation services, on the other hand, involves significantly more than just content translation.
Working with those who have no experience in localization or any projects for Thai could lead to your disappointments.
GTE Localize is proudly a trustworthy agency that you can rely on. As a professional translation supplier focusing on Asian markets, we provide high-quality Thai E-learning translation services at a fair price.
- We have offices in several Southeast Asian countries. As a result, we fully grasp Thai culture, language, and market.
- Our native Thai translators have over 5 years of experience translating a wide range of content into Thai from various languages.
- We follow a thorough quality assurance technology, such as XBench.
- To improve translation quality and minimize turnaround time, we employ a range of translation and localization management platforms, CAT Tools, DTP Tools, and other technologies.
- You might look at some of our previous Thai translation projects.
For more information about our Thai E-learning translation services or to schedule a free consultation with one of our Thai localization specialists, please get in touch with our team.
You can download our whitepaper here if you need helpful ideas for localizing your content into the Thai E-learning industry.