How to Get the Right Content with Website Translation
With increased demand to reach consumers worldwide, creating customer-friendly content and adapting exact website translation becomes more crucial. This is especially true in the digital age when clients can instantly access and absorb information. However, an ineffective translation will always result in a disaster for your company.
Let’s learn how to make your content localization user-friendly so you can get the most out of your website through this article.
1. The Importance of Website Translation and Localization
Website translation is not only related to the text. Translators have to consider graphics and interfaces, also pay attention to the target culture.
Due to stagnant growth in the domestic market, website translation is critical for businesses exploring new markets. As it is well known, the website provides information and a quick online connection for the intended audience. Thus, companies can expand their brands or offer advantageous worldwide cooperation by implementing proper multilingual website translation services.
When purchasing from abroad, native speakers will be challenged to grasp when visiting a website that only offers an English version, even though it is a widely spoken language. Statistics show that 55% of consumers prefer to shop online in their native language, and 60% rarely or never buy from English websites.
After all, it doesn’t reflect the vast majority of locations where English is not broadly prevalent. The translation into the mother tongue will be more effective in reaching the targeted markets.
Furthermore, adequately localizing your website boosts your presence and SEO in each area, allowing you to foster true customer loyalty since Google ranks Web pages in search results pages based on various factors, including keywords and metadata.
The ranking improvements that win organic solid search results in each market are increased by translating your website, keywords, and other related information into a familiar language. To get a closer look at website localization, download our free white paper here.
2. Tips for Friendly Content Translation on Website
The complexity of website translation jobs is hugely high for firms that do not grasp the features of content documents. Pay attention to the minor points that the translators summarize and share if you want to grow globally or produce pleasant translations.
2.1. Identify the Purpose and Audience
If you intend to translate your work, take in mind that your reading level may vary depending on the different target languages. It’s critical to remember the following as you define your target demographic for a multilingual website in a new market:
- Determine the market to see if you are a suitable fit;
- Investigate the local audience’s search and purchasing habits;
- Take into account the recipient’s viewpoint and education (this will affect: tone – informal vs. formal; communication style; level of detail);
- Understand your target audience’s preferences in terms of culture, language (or a dialect), tradition, religion, law, etc.;
- Define what you want to achieve with your translated texts (whether it’s just converting the intended audience’s language, avoiding liability, satisfying special regulatory requirements, etc.);
- Forming website translation plans will determine what you need to say and make it as basic and straightforward as possible.
When you plan your targeting well from the start, you’ll avoid providing offensive or unsuitable content to the people you’re targeting.
2.2. Maintain Consistency
Synonyms aren’t always practical, so you should utilize the words consistently throughout your text if you want to make your content translation friendly. Using different words to represent the same ideas and concepts might make it difficult to understand, and also push it impossible to utilize the benefits of the translation website fully.
So, text consistency is the most crucial component in obtaining a high-quality website translation, both in content and the ability to convey the message. To accomplish so, the following approaches can satisfy your interest:
- Create a terminology and style guide to assist content writers in using standardized text and authorized terminology;
- Reuse translated source text (a previously used word or phrase helps with consistency while also keeping expenses low);
- To handle measurements and digits, use/generate language pair instructions (time, temperature, currency, weight, height, phone number, etc.);
- Choose and localize your keywords (a simple word-for-word translation will often fail);
- Examine the layout (target layout makes sense in terms of character count, font size, and page margins, as well as the graphics you use).
The items listed above will make a difference for your readers and improve the customer service experience.
2.3. Achieve Simplization
Simple text assists your translation efforts by avoiding unnecessary language ambiguities. Using brief sentences and notable vocabulary will save translation costs while conveying the central concept. To come up with the best ideas, pay attention to the following considerations:
- Employ active voice (easier to translate than passive voice, easier to understand and direct);
- Keep sentences concise (up to 20 words) and focused on a single idea, but don’t sacrifice readability;
- Ignore abbreviations, jargon, colloquialisms, metaphors, double meanings, dialects, idioms, and rhymes. The translation of these literary approaches into other languages can be problematic;
- Use the typical literary structure (subject + verb + object) to make it more visible and the final translation;
- Avoid extended noun sequences, ambiguous pronoun references, and phrasal verbs (verb form + one or more articles) because they can lead to misinterpretation of the source material.
By removing unneeded synonyms, your language will become more translation-friendly and consistent.
2.4. Partner with Top Leading Website Translation Agency
Mostly, website translation services can range from machine translation and post-editing machine translation to expert translation, including proofreading and translation. However, regardless of the translation method, a careful selection of renowned translation partners will enable you to save time and satisfy the required quality standards.
In today’s industry, GTE Localize is one of the most reputable organizations offering expert website translation services. Due to its years of experience, GTE Localize is fully capable of handling a wide range of highly specialized projects. With skilled local translators and the aim of constantly striving to improve performance, we can provide the top-rated website translations for any industry.
If you need to transform the content of your website, our team can assist you at any stage of the process. Get in touch immediately with one of our localization specialists to receive the best solution!